October is Liver Awareness Month. The liver is a vital organ – no one can survive without it, but it is a silent organ because it can be damaged without sending any signals or symptoms. Hence, many people live with liver disease for a long time without ever knowing it.
Many forms of liver disease are preventable, and many more if detected early can be treated effectively. That is why the American Liver Foundation (ALF) is committed to providing support and resources for liver disease patients, educating the general public about liver health and funding important research to ultimately end liver disease.
Spread the word about liver wellness, and pledge to treat your liver well through the month of October and beyond.
Get the facts
The statistics on the prevalence of liver disease in the United States are startling.
- More than 30 million people in the U.S. have liver disease – or 1 in 10 Americans.
- Liver diseases such as hepatitis C, fatty liver disease, and liver cancer are on the rise
- Up to 25% of Americans may have fatty liver disease
- Four million Americans are infected with hepatitis C and more than 1 million Americans are infected with hepatitis B
- Approximately 15,000 children are hospitalized every year with pediatric liver disease or disorders.
Prevention is essential to stop the rise of liver disease! In conjunction with Liver Awareness Month, the ALF is calling on you to help bring liver education to your community!
Follow these ten simple liver health tips
Take care of your liver so your liver can take care of you.
- Eat a well balanced diet and maintain a healthy weight.
- Be careful with aerosol sprays.
- Wash your hands.
- Use alcohol responsibly.
- Follow directions on all medications.
- Get vaccinated.
- Don't share razors, toothbrushes or nail clippers.
- Get tested if you think you are at risk.
- Practice safe sex.
- Learn more about liver disease.
Download the Liver Awareness Month 2009 press release
What is the American Liver Foundation?
The mission of the ALF is to facilitate, advocate, and promote education, support and research for the prevention, treatment and cure of liver disease.
- There are 16 Divisions of the American Liver Foundation across the US.
- Each Division holds at least one Liver Life Walk and one Flavors event each year and some coordinate Liver Life Challenge events too.
- The ALF offers a variety of liver health and disease prevention education programs, such as the Love Your Liver Youth Education Program (LYL), Fatty Liver Information Program (FLIP), and Treatment Choices Initiative (TCI).
- The ALF National HELP-LINE (1-800-GO-LIVER) is available from 9:00 am -5:00 pm EST, Monday through Friday.
- The ALF Research Awards Program has awarded over $22 million in research grants to support research for the treatment and cure of liver disease.