Recipe of the Month
Spinach, Salmon and Grapefruit Salad with Roasted Shallot Vinaigrette from Chef Joseph Hoffmaster at Dakota’s, Dallas, TX
- 3 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 large Texas grapefruit
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 1 ounce toasted pine nuts
- ¼ bulb of fennel
- 3 large shallots
- 1 cup grape seed oil
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 2 6 oz portions of Atlantic salmon
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 5 sprigs of thyme
Salad and Vinaigrette
- Toss shallots in oil and roast at 350 degrees until golden brown and soft.
- Combine shallots, balsamic vinegar, honey and mustard and blend on low speed.
- Slowly add in oil a few drops at a time. Once the oil is incorporated, stream in the rest until the dressing is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Slice the fennel in very thin strips and segment the grapefruit.
- Toss all ingredients (except the goat cheese) with the dressing.
- Garnish with goat cheese.
Heat a medium-sized sauté pan and add oil, butter and thyme. Once hot and the thyme becomes fragrant, season salmon and place in the pan skin side down. Allow to sear for about 45 seconds while bathing the other side of the fillet in the butter. Flip the filet over and finish in the oven at 350 degrees for 4 to 6 minutes or desired doneness.
Share this page